Saturday, May 19, 2012

Effecting Change Beyond My Classroom

How did I affect change for STEM education beyond my classroom?  Two years ago, I had the opportunity to work over the summer at a local college campus with a group of meteorologist and botanists.  My duties were to craft inquiry based instruction based on the Georgia Performance Standards that focused on weather.  I designed several instructional activities that not only focused on weather, but also integrated mathematics and writing.  Also, I directed video demonstrations that starred local students that demonstrated various weather related experiments.  These were posted online, with easy access by Georgia teachers, as well as teachers across the country.

http://www.weatherschool.org/

I recently received an invitation to return to the program, which I have accepted.  Georgia is currently revamping their standards, emphasizing more integration of reading and writing skills in the standards.  I am looking forward to modifying the previous instruction, as well as creating new instructional activities.  Also, I am considering including activities that would be conducive to learners with special needs, such as Asperger's Syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSRmMLR9nf8

What are my challenges?  The largest one that I can think of is time.  I will only be actively engaged with this program for four to eight weeks.  Because I attempt to craft comprehensive instructional activities, each activity takes large amounts of time and thought.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great opportunity! I would be lying if I didn't say that I was jealous of the opportunity you get to advance science instruction in your state. Plus, being able to work during the summer months is a bonus! Best of luck as you continue to plan for the future education of your students. I know that time is a big constraint when it comes to planning inquiry-based instructional activities, but the impact it will have on, not only your students, but also the students throughout the state, is tremendous. Thanks for sharing the links. I will definitely be passing this on to our 6th grade teachers at my school in California. Who would have thought that your lessons could be impacting students across the country as well?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julius,
      I truly hope that the website is helpful to everyone, not just Georgia educators. Also, I am hoping to attach a blog to the website to get input from other teachers or even scientists!!!

      Denise

      Delete